Much goes into successfully starting a business. Even if you’ve done it before, it can be difficult to remember everything unless you’ve got a checklist to work with. I’ve created a small list of MUST do things to keep in mind along with a few links to posts that will give you more info.
Decide what business to start
- What will you sell, rent out, lend out etc
- Who will buy it, for how much and how frequently?
- Can you make a profit?
How to choose the right business to start – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2010/06/08/how-to-choose-the-right-business-for-you/
Get your Company registered
- Create a corporate bank account
- Sort out Tax Clearance with ZIMRA
- Do you need VAT?
- Special License, certificate or clearance required?
- Related Posts:
- The requirements for getting registered in Zimbabwe – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2010/08/25/requirements-for-company-formation-in-zimbabwe/
- Common company registration mistakes – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2010/08/19/10-company-formation-mistakes-zimbabwean-business-people-make/
- What you need to know to register a business – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/company-registration-zimbabwe-business-setup/
Sort out your business contacts
- Physical address
- Phone number
- Fax number
- P. O. Box number
- Email addresses.
- Mobile numbers
Don’t be a briefcase businessman – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2010/08/14/dont-be-a-briefcase-businessman-7-tips/
Write a business plan
- How will you fund your business?
- What opportunity are you seizing?
- What hunger are you satisfying?
- How will your reach and convince the market?
- How will you compete effectively?
- How to write a business for your Zimbabwean business – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/business-plan-zimbabwe/
- Strategic thinking in business – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/buiness-marketing-strategic-vs-tactical-thinking/
Design your brand and communication pieces based on a business marketing strategy
- Get logo designed
- Design correspondence/ communication pieces (business cards, letter heads, compliment slips)
- Design transaction forms (Invoices, quotations, receipts, order forms etc)
Warning About Logo design – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/warning-before-you-get-your-logo-designed-in-zimbabwe/
Why your business cards stink – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2010/04/01/why-your-business-cards-stink-what-to-do-about-it/
Create marketing material
- Website designed
- Direct mail?
- Newspaper advertising
- Word of mouth
- Email marketing?
- SMS advertising?
- Sales people?
See 29 marketing ideas here – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/29-marketing-ideas-for-zimbabwe%E2%80%99s-marketing-myopia/
12 Reasons You Need A Website – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2010/08/23/12-reasons-your-zimbabwe-business-needs-a-website/
Why you can’t afford to ignore internet marketing – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2010/05/12/why-internet-marketing-is-better/
Is your cash management system in place?
- What fixed expenses will you need to manage?
- Which once off costs are necessary
- What unforeseen costs?
- How will you ensure your money grows the business
- How will you ensure money doesn’t disappear?
Start a business without money – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2010/03/09/how-to-start-a-business-without-money/
Cash Baron Secrets – http://bizsetup.wordpress.com/2008/10/17/cash-baron-secrets/
Is your human resources strategy in place?
- How will you find, hire, train, equip, compensate and retain the right people for your business?
- Which positions should you start with?
- What responsibilities will they have
- How will you measure, manage and ensure performance?
Now there certain things that aren’t in this list – mostly things that are industry specific or only apply to certain types of businesses. Nonetheless, i hope this helps!
Have you registered for email updates from this blog? It’s free, fast and easy! Just put your email address in the subscribe spot on the top right of this web page.
3 Replies to “Starting a Business Checklist”
This Article Very Nice , Thank You for Sharing the Information , Thanks
I want to show my thanks to the author of this blog page. Keep giving a good ideas and strategies. Many people will surely improve their skills by reading blogs like this.