Don’t even THINK about getting your logo designed in Zimbabwe until you’ve read this post…
Over the years I’ve personally designed or over seen the design of more than 200 logos now.
Combine that with thousands of hours of research and study into results oriented marketing, and you start to learn a few things – like the common mistakes and traps business people fall into when getting a logo designed. If your business needs a logo, you’d be crazy not to ready EVERY word that follows!
Also In This Post
- What The Average Graphic Designer In Zimbabwe Does Not Want You To Know About Your Logo
- The Biggest Mistake business people make when they hire a graphic designer
- Why Some Logos Work And Others Don’t: How To Get a Logo that talks to your customers
- How To Make Sure Your Graphic Designer Does A Good Job
- Where to get a professional logo if you’re on a really tight budget
What is a logo?
A Logo is a symbol. A picture need not have meaning, but a symbol must.
A symbol must communicate, and so should your logo. When done well, a logo can be an important part of your brand message.
Since a logo can and should and (does say) something about your business, it’s important to make sure that it says the right thing, in the best way possible – but I’m getting a head of myself (we’ll come back to that later).
A Logo is also a signature. A way for people to know and remember whose talking.
Here’s what a logo is NOT & The Lies designers tell you:
- A Logo is NOT an opportunity for creative expression. Amateur graphic designers hate it when i say this, but it’s true. If you want all the fulfilling and wonderful feelings that come with creative expression, do it on a note pad with poetry, not on your logo. The more objective you are, the better your logo will be. If a graphic designer asks you what your favorite color is – fire him – or at least tell him “This is business, not art”. It’s about what works, not what looks or feels good.
- Your Logo is not for You. Shocking right? But this is where many get it wrong. If you approach a designer and tell him to design a logo that you’ll like, you’ll almost always get a poor job – even if it looks good. Your logo is for your prospects, customers, partners, share holders – etc. In other words, everyone but you. You don’t have to like it, they do. And by ‘like it’, i don’t mean the art of it (forget that), i mean they have to like what it says about you.
- A logo cannot communicate everything about your company. Don’t try to make that happen. I’ve dealt with dozens of my own clients who say things like,“I want my logo to show professionalism, excellence, friendly service, technology with an African feel”. I’ll tell you now, there’s not a designer on EARTH who could make that kind of description happen for you. Instead, determine what is the single most (or at most 2 things) important thing you need to say about yourself to your market and use just that as your criteria. Not only will you not have to wait 6 months to get your logo done, you’ll also get a much better communication piece/logo.
Design Logic is a Must!
Design logic means your design must make sense! It means your designer should be able to explain WHY he did what he did.
- Why red instead of blue
- Why round instead of square
- Why this font isn’t of that one and so on.
Professional designers ALWAYS use design logic vs artistic logic. Artistic logic says
“Well, it may not make sense, but it sure looks nice!”
Of course there are exceptions to this rule. For example:
Does Apple’s logo really make any sense?
No it doesn’t, not really – but neither does their marketing budget. when you’ve got a billion dollar budget, you can afford to turn any image into a brand – ram it into the minds of the masses, associate it to a company, product and a setup pf values or beliefs. Unless you’ve got that kind of budget, don’t make it difficult and expensive for yourself to develop a brand.
Where To Get Your Logo Designed In Zimbabwe: BUSINESS SETUP GROUP
If you’ve started a business and you’re ready to get a logo designed, I’d love to chat to you personally about it. There’s really no need for you to take massive risks with your logo and brand and I’d like to help you avoid the risks – even if you’re on a small budget.
Go with the Business Setup group for your logo design!
Listen, most designers in Zimbabwe have VERY little experience or skill when it comes to getting a quality job done. On the other hand, the few companies with as much experience as we have will charge you an arm and a leg and many aren’t aware of the negative marketing consequences of the nice looking art-work they produce for you.
We’ll literally research your market, both locally and internationally to ensure that your new logo makes sense, and stands out.We literally go through over 5000 logos, ideas and concepts to determine the right colours, shapes, fonts, metaphors and so on. I’ve arranged a discount for readers of this blog so that a small investment of just $175 will get you
- A logo design (3 options)
- compliment slip design
- letterhead design
- business card design.
- Invoice + quotation sheet design
My team has a combined experience of over 20 years in the industry – which means you can avoid common problems like getting a poor quality job done, a lack of design logic in your work, paying unnecessary printing costs because of bad design, receiving the wrong formats and so many more. Interested? Call me directly on 0913 098 648 or email us
If You’re On A Really Tight Budget…
If you need a logo and you’re on a small budget, then you have 3 choices
- Go with a cheap graphic designer and risk making a bad impression for your business from day 1
- Save up and hopefully one day you’ll have enough
- Check out Quick Biz Tools and buy a professionally done, pre-design logo that matches your business for just $55! Seriously, check out www.quickbiztools.wordpress.com, go through the selection of almost 20 professional logos that are already designed and buy one for a fraction of what a normal job would cost you!
Got questions on designing a logo in Zimbabwe? Contact us or leave a comment!
16 Replies to “WARNING: Before You Get Your Logo Designed In Zimbabwe”
this is great stuff…think you should go on talking business and let the whole of Zim hear this
Interesting post Max. I like the heading its very catchy. When i first read it i said gosh, what is Max trying to say? after reading trough your post, i got the gist. What this header does is to create and arouse curiosity which is what made me read this article. Well done.
Quite interesting and informative. It makes designing work quite simpler and meaningful to everyone.
I think the Apple logo does have a meaning. If the apple was the forbidden fruit in the bible (a few people allege it is) then they saying they somehow more enlightened as they are more knowledgeable about the field they are in??? Maybe? Either way, great article
I want to say thank you Mr Max. I have been following your website for almost 2 years now and you always deliver good quality information.
Such a coincidence! Thanks for this posting – currently looking for some help with our new logo. Will be in touch shortly. Your site is always very informative. Please keep up the good work 🙂
Hi there Sir Nigel!
Thanks for staying a regular reader of the blog, you’re my favourite kinda person! How’s your logo project going so far mate?
Yours for smarter business
You’re welcome Sir Nigel! I look forward to working with you mate.
My name is Isabella and i´m from sweden. I have tried to do something fun with my blog with no success.. I wonder how you did your header on your blog?
Very interesting article, thanks. Keep up the good work.
hey, i look forward to reading your articles every day…keep up the gud work, i will be engaging your services very soon…
Hi there Vimbai!
Thank you for the kind words, i am very glad you’ve found the blog useful. I certainly look forward to doing business with you.
Contact me here on this email or call me directly on 0913 098 648
Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people consider worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks
When I saw you at TedxHarare was the first time I had even heard of you! But I enjoyed your talk immensely, had a Mega-Church Pastor ring to it, I was just waiting for you you to pass the basket for the tithe!
Logo design, certainly not a walk in the park…